Potstickers...for breakfast! These are so tasty that you just might want to have them for lunch and dinner too.
So many people seem to be intimidated by the thought of making their own potstickers. They are EASY! The filling can be made several days in advance. I like to make a big batch of these potstickers during the weekend and reheat them in the toaster oven for weekday breakfasts.
Premade potsticker wrappers (AKA wonton wrappers) can be found in the produce section of most grocery stores, usually near the bean sprouts and tofu, and are only a few dollars. I tried once to made my own wrappers from scratch. They turned out alright but took up my entire afternoon!
There. Now that you know what to buy, you have no excuse not to make these scrumptious breakfast potstickers!
You can place a dozen wrappers on the countertop and get the entire package knocked out quickly. Bonus if you have a helper. Sexy Nerd looooves to eat these, but also hates them because he knows he's expected to turn off Nascar and come help me fill and fold potstickers!
A cup of water and a basting brush make easy work out of sealing the edges.
Any pan will do the trick, but my electric skillet from the clearance aisle at Bed Bath & Beyond (it wobbles dangerously because it is missing a leg - I still say it was a deal!) can hold all 48 potstickers at once. Technically, it's a bit of a squeeze and they all stick together this way, but the sooner you're done cooking the potstickers, the sooner you can eat them.
Side 1, all steamed, soft, and chewy.
Side 2, crispy and fried to perfection!
Breakfast Potstickers with Avocado and Goat Cheese
- 1 cup Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns
- ½ lb bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ white onion
- 48 wonton wrappers
- just a little vegetable oil ( for frying)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 cup boiling water ( for steaming)
- sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- In a medium bowl, add Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns, bacon, avocado, and goat cheese.
- In a food processor, finely chop the spinach, bell pepper, and onion. Add the eggs to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Mix the ingredients from the food processor into the bowl.
- On a clean countertop, lay out a dozen potsticker wrappers. Place 1 tablespoons of filling onto the center of each.
- Using a basting brush, lightly dab the edges of each potsticker with cold water.
- Fold a corner of each potsticker onto the opposite corner, forming a triangle, and press all the way around the edges to create a seal.
- Repeat until all of your potsticker wrappers are filled and sealed.
- In a large pan with a lid (I use an electric griddle, set to 350F) add just enough oil to lightly coat the surface. When the oil is hot, add as many potstickers as will fit (My griddle can accommodate all 48 - though it is a tight fit! - but smaller pans will require you to work in batches).
- While the potstickers are cooking, combine your boiling water and ketchup and mix thoroughly. Add this water/ketchup mixture onto the potstickers and immediately cover with the lid.
- Let steam for 5 minutes, then remove the lid, allowing the water to evaporate.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Enjoy your fancy potsticker breakfast!